Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy is the first book of its kind, presenting a comprehensive guide to all eight limbs of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga. Join author Gregor Maehle, a seasoned yogi and compassionate teacher, as he guides you through:
- the history and lineage of yoga
- the fundamentals of breath, bandhas (energy locks within the body), drishti (the focal point of the gaze), and vinyasa (sequential movement)
- a detailed breakdown of the asanas of the Ashtanga Primary Series, following the traditional vinyasa count
- a lively and authentic rendering of the complete Yoga Sutra of Patanjali, yoga’s ancient sacred text a glossary of yoga terminology.
In the asana section, Maehle describes each posture with clear, meticulous instructions, photographs, anatomical illustrations, and practical tips. Information on the mythological background and yogic context of specific postures brings further insight to the practice. In the philosophy section, Maehle illuminates the Yoga Sutra using the major ancient commentaries as well as his own insights. This volume makes the entire path of Ashtanga Yoga accessible to modern practitioners. Both practical guide and spiritual treatise, Ashtanga Yoga is an excellent introduction to the eight limbs of yoga and an invaluable resource for any yoga teacher or practitioner.
“Gregor Maehle’s Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy weaves philosophy and integrated knowledge of anatomy into our yoga practice to keep us centered in the heart of a profound tradition. He also gives us a brilliant translation and commentary on the Yoga Sutra, revealing a deep philosophical and historical context in which to ground and stimulate our entire lives.”
– Richard Freeman, Founder of the Yoga Workshop in Boulder, Colorado
“A much-needed new tool for practicing yoga with greater safety in the physical form and with much greater depth in the inner form of the practice. A valuable contribution to the evolving understanding of this profound system and method of yoga.”
– Chuck Miller, Ashtanga Yoga teacher, senior student of Shri K. Pattabhi Jois since 1980
“If you want to keep only one book on yoga in your shop, this is the one to have.”
– New Age Retailer