For hard copy and ebook version of this title please visit your favourite online retailer.
In this much-anticipated follow-up to his first book, Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy, Gregor Maehle offers a detailed and multifaceted guide to Ashtanga Yoga’s Intermediate Series.
An expert yogi and teacher, Maehle will guide you to your next level with an unprecedented depth of anatomical explanation and unparalleled attention to the practice’s philosophical and mythological heritage. You will learn:
- The background and applications of each of the three forms of yoga: Karma, Bhakti, and Jnana
- How to use Indian myth and cosmology to deepen your practice the fundamentals of breath, bandhas (energy locks within the body), drishti (the focal point of the gaze), and vinyasa (sequential movement)
- The importance of the Sanskrit language to the yogic tradition
- The mythology behind the names of the Intermediate Series postures
- The functions and limitations of body parts integral to the Intermediate Series, including the spine, the sacroiliac joint, the shoulder joint, and the hip joint
How to reap the full benefits of practicing the Intermediate Series
Maehle meticulously explores all twenty-seven postures of the Intermediate Series through photos, anatomical line drawings, and practical, informative sidebars. He also discusses the philosophical and spiritual background of Ashtanga Yoga and places the practice within the context of Indian cultural history. With passionate erudition, Maehle will prepare you to reap physical, spiritual, and mental fulfillment from your evolving practice.
“Gregor Maehle’s Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy weaves philosophy and integrated knowledge of anatomy into our yoga practice to keep us centered in the heart of a profound tradition. He also gives us a brilliant translation and commentary on the Yoga Sutra, revealing a deep philosophical and historical context in which to ground and stimulate our entire lives.”
– Richard Freeman, Founder of the Yoga Workshop in Boulder, Colorado
“A much-needed new tool for practicing yoga with greater safety in the physical form and with much greater depth in the inner form of the practice. A valuable contribution to the evolving understanding of this profound system and method of yoga.”
– Chuck Miller, Ashtanga Yoga teacher, senior student of Shri K. Pattabhi Jois since 1980
“If you want to keep only one book on yoga in your shop, this is the one to have.”
– New Age Retailer